Loving God With All Your Heart
In the modern church today, there is a common teaching that has an emphasis on knowledge, but frowns on people being emotional.
Matthew chapter 22:35-40
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Jesus said it this way:
- Why did the lawyer ask Jesus about the greatest commandment?
- How did Jesus say that we are commanded to Love God?
- In Jesus' response, which came first, "the mind", or "the heart"?
- What did Jesus say is the "First and Greatest Commandment"?
- What things hang on the First Commandment?
- How important to you believe it is, to "Love God in an emotional way"?
Matthew chapter 15:8-9
"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me!"
- What did Jesus say about their lips, and their hearts?
- What did Jesus say can cause our worship to be vain or empty?
Questions for Discussion
- How emotional do people get at sporting events?
- How can the statement “faith is not a feeling” be a cause for spiritual dysfunction?
- Is it healthy for the Christian to feel spiritual emotions? Why or why not?
- How has this discussion challenged you?